Carbon monoxide detectors are an important part of today’s home safety. People often forget carbon monoxide detectors when they are purchasing smoke alarms or doing home renovation, but they should not. In fact, carbon monoxide detectors are required within the BC Building Code.
If you feel you have been exposed to too much carbon dioxide in your home, seek immediate medical attention. Common symptoms include dull headache, weakness, nausea, and confusion. Tissue damage can occur with even a slight over exposure to carbon monoxide.
Carbon monoxide detectors detect carbon monoxide, a colourless, odourless, tasteless gas that is produced when fuel from gas appliances such as driers, heaters, fireplaces and/or furnaces is not burned completely.
Carbon monoxide is also produced in chimney fumes, or when people leave a car engine running in a closed, attached garage.
The best place to install at carbon monoxide detector is near the appliances listed above, as well as in your attached garage.
Carbon monoxide detectors can be wired in, battery powered or plugged in. In some areas, smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are required by regulation in new and/or existing homes. There are combination units (having both carbon monoxide and smoke detectors combined) available.
The certified electricians at Nightingale Electrical Service are extremely experienced in all aspects of carbon monoxide and smoke alarm installation, including determining the best places to install them in your home. We can install carbon monoxide detectors on their own, or as part of a larger electrical rewiring project during a renovation, while doing phone and data writing, installing wired surge protection, or as part of a custom electrical design for a new home.