Child Safety and Electricity

The safety of our children is every parent’s top priority. As their curiosity develops as they grow, electricity can easily seem like the “Boogeyman”.

As a result, here are a few tips which will go a long way in ensuring your children’s safety from electricity and electrical appliances throughout your home.

  • Purchase “Child Proof” blank receptacle inserts. Insert them into all the receptacles in your home which your child can reach. These are intended to prevent a child from inserting small metal objects into your receptacles. These are available at most hardware supply outlets.
  • Consider changing your present outlets to “child tamper proof receptacles”.
  • Avoid the use of “Power bars”. These present a hazard to children when playing with them or spilling liquids upon them.
  • Do not leave energized power cords lying about which can result in electrical shock.
  • Be sure to have your home equipped with several A.C or battery-operated smoke detectors.
  • Maintain a minimum of 1 current Type ABC Fire Extinguisher in your home.
  • Have a qualified electrician inspect your Electrical Panel, outlets and GFCI devices to ensure they are operating properly. Nightingale Electrical exclusively offers all its customers an Electrical Safety Evaluation. Please click here to find out more information.
  • Do not leave power tools or appliances plugged in because they present an extreme hazard to the curious child.
  • Remove batteries from all your battery-operated drills, saws, fans etc. Keep those batteries away from the reach of children. These dangerous tools are frequently overlooked.
  • Do not keep any portable electrical appliances in your bathroom or outdoors as they present a serious shock hazard.

TOP 5 TO STAY ALIVE

  1. Never put metal objects in outlets or appliances.
  2. Don’t plug too many things into one outlet.
  3. Never mix water and electricity.
  4. Stay away from power lines.
  5. Stay away from transformers and substations.

Live a Safe Life!

Comments are closed.